Menopause is a natural life transition experienced by every woman in the world in her own unique way. As baby boomers age, an unprecedented number of women are reaching menopause every day. Still, many remain unsure when "the change" will occur, what to expect, how to prepare for it and how to safely and effectively address their symptoms. Unfortunately, people don't talk openly about menopause, medical doctors often approach it as a "disease", and this is not the menopause experienced by the generation before us.
Yes, this is a natural life transition, but our modern world isn't such a natural place. Estrogen mimicking xenoestrogens and endocrine disrupting chemicals in our foods, the environment and the products we use, coupled with our stressful lifestyles, makes this the first generation to experience extreme estrogen dominance. As a result, this once brief transition can now span 5-15 years of your life.
Far beyond mood swings, hot flashes and the end of your child bearing years, the journey through perimenopause and menopause impacts every aspect of your life - mentally, emotionally, physically and spiritually. It's important to remember that your significant other, children, friends, family and co-workers will all be affected by the changes you experience too. Clearly, becoming more aware of menopause and discovering ways to navigate through the years ahead will enhance the quality of your life and those around you.
Understanding the Phases of "The Change"
Perimenopause: The years leading to actual menopause are known as perimenopause. The beginning of this phase is marked by a decrease in progesterone which allows estrogen to become the dominant hormone. This hormonal imbalance triggers the onset of symptoms including irregular periods, heavy bleeding, mood swings, breast tenderness and more.
Menopause: The word menopause refers to a point in time rather than a span of years. A woman "reaches" menopause when 12 consecutive months have passed without a menstrual cycle. As menopause approaches, estrogen levels begin to drop. After the wildly fluctuating hormones during perimenopause, this phase often brings a sense of balance. However, dropping estrogen levels also introduce new symptoms and new risks for hormone and age related health conditions.
Post-menopause: Post-menopause refers to all of the years of your life following a full 12 months without a menstrual cycle. Today, the average woman lives one third of her life after menopause. Hormone related health concerns increase, such as breast cancer, osteoporosis, heart disease and vaginal prolapse. Women can take command of these health risks by utilizing the many prevention strategies available and initiating positive lifestyle changes now.
Hormone Related Health Conditions
Since the entire endocrine system is affected by the extreme hormonal changes taking place during perimenopause, it should come as no surprise that hormone related health conditions increase in midlife women. These can include hypothyroidism, blood sugar disorders, adrenal fatigue, elevated cholesterol, ovarian cysts, uterine fibroids and breast cancer.
Bio-identical Progesterone Cream - A Simple Solution
By now, we're all aware of the health risks associated with HRT. Despite FDA approval, the medications we thought would bring symptom relief, protect our hearts, prevent osteoporosis and lower the risk of breast cancer were found to do more harm than good.
The Organic Excellence Progesterone Creams were formulated to meet the strict criteria outlined by Dr. John R. Lee, MD. in his bestselling book, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause". Identical to the progesterone naturally produced by the body, they offer a simple solution to safely and effectively restore hormonal balance, ease your symptoms, help protect you from hormone related health conditions and assure you of a more pleasant menopause transition, mentally, emotionally, physically and spiritually.
Women in perimenopause with an excess of estrogen will benefit greatly from Feminine Balance Therapy, our progesterone cream without phytoestrogens. For those in menopause and beyond, Balance Plus Therapy (with added phytoestrogens) can help relieve hot flashes and other symptoms of too little estrogen.
According to Dr. John R. Lee, MD., the effects of bio-identical progesterone include:
- Natural anti-depressant
- Helps use fat for energy
- Aids weight loss naturally
- Relieves anxiety
- Prevents cyclical migraines
- Promotes normal sleep patterns
- Facilitates thyroid hormone function
- Helps normalize blood sugar levels
- Normalizes blood clotting
- Calms the nervous system
- Helps restore normal libido
- Normalizes zinc and copper levels
- Natural diuretic
- Protects against fibrocystic breasts
- Restores proper cell oxygen levels
- Prevents endometrial cancer
- Helps prevent breast cancer
- Stimulates new bone formation
- Improves vascular tone
- Prevents autoimmune diseases
- Increases sensitivity of estrogen receptors
- Precursor of corticosteroid biosynthesis
- Prevents coronary artery spasm and atherosclerotic plaque
Holistic Menopause - Steps to Embrace Perimenopause and Menopause
As the owner of Organic Excellence, I've dedicated much of my life to providing women with acupuncture, herbal medicine consultations and lifestyle coaching. I feel so fortunate to have our very own menopause expert, Michelle Prince, to support you with the wonderful work she does at www.Holistic Menopause.com. Michelle has been offering Personal Consultations, workshops and retreats for women in perimenopause and menopause since 2004 and has only recommended one brand of progesterone cream during that time...Organic Excellence! Why? Because it's chemical, fragrance, gluten and GMO free and brings amazing results to her clients around the world.
Here are Michelle's Steps to Embrace Perimenopause and Menopause...
1. Adopt a fresh, positive attitude about "the change". Menopause is a natural life transition experienced by every woman in the world. Toss away any old, outworn beliefs about how "terrible" this time of life is. Adopt a positive attitude by becoming aware of what's really happening and why. Knowledge is empowerment! Focus on the many positive aspects of this transformative time of life.
2. Understand the important difference between perimenopause and menopause. Your midlife transition unfolds in two distinctly different phases ~ perimenopause and menopause. Each phase has a unique set of symptoms (with only a few common to both) and each phase requires a completely different approach. What works to relieve your symptoms in menopause (estrogen deficiency) can actually make you feel worse during perimenopause (estrogen dominance.)
3. Identify your symptoms as estrogen dominance or estrogen deficiency. Ours is the first generation to experience extreme estrogen dominance. Understanding estrogen dominance will empower you to make wiser dietary and lifestyle choices.
4. Use Organic Excellence Bio-Identical Progesterone Cream.
During perimenopause, Feminine Balance Therapy
restores healthy progesterone levels to balance excess estrogen. In menopause and beyond, or following a hysterectomy, Balance Plus Therapy
with added Phytoestrogens stimulates the estrogen receptors throughout your body for the most natural way to enhance estrogen levels. Identical to the progesterone naturally produced during ovulation and pregnancy, is completely safe and highly effective and it takes the guesswork out of achieving hormonal balance. Just use it!
5. Eliminate the possibility of hormone related health conditions. Don't dismiss all of your symptoms as "just hormones". Undiagnosed hormone related conditions are common in midlife. Their symptoms both mimic and intensify your normal symptoms and can put you at risk for more serious health conditions later in life.
6. Follow current, accurate information. Use caution when searching for information and products on websites, articles and books. There are far too many unqualified people offering downright dangerous information, not to mention misleading and confusing pharmaceutical company funded clinical studies. New discoveries and products are constantly introduced, so be sure what you're following is current.
7. Always check for contraindications. If you have existing health conditions and/or use prescription medications, please don't miss this step. Always check for contraindications before adding supplements, herbs and even certain foods. Never stop using medications without first consulting your doctor. (The Organic Excellence Progesterone Creams do not have any contraindications.)
8. Choose supplements and herbs carefully. We become super sensitive during perimenopause and menopause, making it essential to read ingredients carefully. Choose supplements and herbs free of preservatives, unnecessary fillers, endocrine disrupting chemicals and food coloring. Avoid soy products (soy elevates estrogen and compromise thyroid function) during perimenopause and choose NON-GMO, fermented soy in menopause and beyond.
9. Make positive dietary changes. Dietary changes are essential during perimenopause and menopause. What you do and don't eat, portion size and the frequency of your meals have a huge impact on the quality of your life. Nourish your body, mind and spirit with healthy foods!
10. Establish proactive, preventative health strategies. Heart disease and osteoporosis are the "silent symptoms" of menopause and beyond. (There is compelling evidence showing that progesterone cream slows bone loss and stimulates new bone growth) Initiate preventative health strategies now with proper diet, exercise, stress management, supplements and holistic modalities proven effective for long-term, comprehensive wellness. The quality of the many years ahead depends on it!
11. Choose "clean" foods and personal care products. Choose organic foods, especially meats and dairy products to help eliminate excess estrogens, chemicals, pesticides and preservatives. Remember, what you put on your skin goes in your body. Examine your personal care products for ingredients known to be endocrine disruptors. Without your knowledge, they can make you feel worse and be potentially dangerous. For your personal care needs, choose the chemical free Organic Excellence products.
12. Utilize effective stress management techniques. Ease your transition by learning to effectively reduce and manage stress. Consider yoga, meditation, Tai Chi, deep breathing, journaling, walking, jogging or any number of stress reduction techniques.
13. Learn to "listen" to your symptoms. Your symptoms have an important message for you. Know that everything you have put on the back burner will surface in midlife. Stored resentments, unhealed wounds, losses you haven't yet grieved ~ all will demand your attention now. Learn to listen to your symptoms and allow them to guide you to areas of your life in need of attention.
14. Take time for YOU! After years of putting the needs and desires of others before your own, it's time for YOU! Taking quiet time to go inward has never been more important than during perimenopause and menopause. Give yourself permission to rest, restore, reflect and reevaluate your life. Create a safe place to go within. Journaling helps you explore where you've been as you reinvent yourself for life's next chapter.
Medical Disclaimer: This information is for educational purposes only. It is not intended to replace the advice of a licensed medical doctor. Organic Excellence does not diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you have or suspect a mental or physical health condition, please see your healthcare provider.